Sunday, October 26, 2008

Nina Goes to the Library & Reads a Book


I traveled a lot this past weekend, both literally and metaphorically. Between two gigs (e.g., the Surrey International Writers Conference and the Ladner Writers Festival) I must have driven 200 km and drank twenty liters of coffee. I’ll reserve the Surrey International Writing Conference for my next post and focus here on the Ladner Writers Festival.

Held at the Ladner Pioneer Library, the festival hosted six local writers, including Gordon Fairclough, Nina Munteanu, Marie Warder, Gwen Szychter, Cynthia Sully, and Louise Latremouille. The event was a “meet and greet” and included readings by some of us. We were a mixed bag, representing non-fiction works on regional history and how to run a PC, to memoirs and fiction stories of overseas life … and finally … you guessed it … science fiction thrillers.


I had a great time, I met some wonderful people, I learned a little about local history and I ate some incredible food (mugs a huge grin with watercress stuck between her teeth…). Well, writers will do just about anything when great food and tolerable coffee is offered.

p.s. Oh, by the way, how do you like my “new” look? “Does she or doesn’t she (photoshop)?” LOL! Should I or shouldn’t I? Please comment before next week when I go to the World Fantasy Convention and I shall be oh so grateful!




Nina Munteanu is an ecologist and internationally published author of novels, short stories and essays. She coaches writers and teaches writing at George Brown College and the University of Toronto. For more about Nina’s coaching & workshops visit www.ninamunteanu.me. Visit www.ninamunteanu.ca for more about her writing.

12 comments:

Lynda said...

You're looking fabulous, too, Nina! Love the wind blown picture. PS just discovered I'm reading with you at WFC.

Nina Munteanu said...

HAHA! Okay, I'll take that as a "yes, you should" vote, Lynda! Looking forward to seeing you at WFC! (p.s., you must have a newer schedule...when do we read together?)

Greg said...

Hi SF!

Sounds like a great time! I'm going to have to find out about some of these events and get out there. Always too much to do on the home front.

Being a man who usually says the wrong thing at the wrong time when a woman says "how do I look", I'm going to say the new look suits you just fine! :) (But you can lose the watercress. No loss there)

Nina Munteanu said...

LOL! Thanks for that very politically correct vote, Blackburn! :) (she says, having flossed and made herself presentable again). Well, my next event is in Calgary so no worries there... But I will be doing several signings at various Chapters stores in Burnaby, Richmond and Coquitlam in November... sooooo..... check your schedule!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

You look fab, Nina. That was a great group of people together.

Nina Munteanu said...

Aw, thanks, Jean-luc! :) With that look I don't even have to comb my hair! LOL! One less thing to do at the Fantasy World Convention next week. :D

Greg said...

Hokay... will try and catch up in November. Metrotown? =]

Nina Munteanu said...

Blackburn, you're on! The date for the signing at Metrotown is Saturday, November 15th (still to be confirmed) from noon to 4ish... depending on how much fun I'm having and if anyone brings me a latte... :D

Greg said...

Aww... you're kidding! =\ That's the one weekend in November that I'm out of Vancouver. Where else are you this month?

Nina Munteanu said...

LOL! That's funny, Blackburn! Well... I will be doing a reading at the same store the evening (7pm) of November 20 (Thursday) and if that doesn't work for you, I'll be at Chapters Coquitlam (Pinetree Mall) on December 13th at around 1-4pm. Hope to see you! :)

Virginia said...

WHAT? You had failed to mention the new hair option. I like it. Are ya gonna do it?

Nina Munteanu said...

LOL! Well, I count three votes for "yes" if I consider Jean-Luc's comment of "you look fab" as a "yes"... sooooo .... next time you see me I might look like I do in that picture! HAR! Do blondes have more fun? I'm having an awfully good time already...