Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Vcon Fallout



Vcon (Vancouver's SF and F Convention) was a resounding success...for me as well. I wasn't on any panels. Nor did I do a reading of my upcoming novel, Darwin's Paradox...voice artist, Heather Dugan does a much better job, anyway! But that freed me up for...you guessed it! MORE BAR TIME! Yee! Ha! Beside me, is yours truly and Boba Fett as we are about to sidle over to the bar for a couple of Canadian brewskys. Being around Boba has its advantages. As you know, this guy gets around in the galaxy.


Within moments of getting our drinks, Boba introduced me to none other than Flash Gordon (Eric Johnson), who is even more gorgeous in person. And to Boba's left (your right) is the graceful Dale Arden (Gina Holden) who no doubt keeps Flash's heart nicely beating...


The con, of course, had its requisite activities such as filking, live theatre, masquerade, aliens and crazy people running down the halls (oh, that was Boba and I...never mind). Oh, yeah...and panels (like the one on medieval swordfighting) and readings and the hot tub on the 15th floor...The con's program, which showcased a lovely ad of my book on the back cover, posted these wise words of advice (by Ross Pavlac), which most aptly sum up what a con is all about:

The Four Rules of Con Behaviour:

1. do good
2. avoid evil
3. throw a room party
4. please don't damage the hotel


The Four Rules of Con Survival:

1. get at least five hours of sleep each night
2. eat at least two meals a day
3. do not confuse rules 1 and 2
4. shower, brush teeth and change into clean clothes at least once a day.

I met a lot of new people at the con and was delighted to see many old friends. Friends like:


Here's the announcement list of this year's Aurora Awards winners:
Best Long-Form Work in English:* Children of Chaos, Dave Duncan (Tor Books)
Best Long-Form Work in French:* Reine de Memoire 4. La Princesse de Vengeance,Elisabeth Vonarburg (Alire)
Best Short-Form Work in English:* "Biding Time," Robert J. Sawyer (Slipstreams edited by Martin H. Greenberg and John Helfers, DAW [and also in The Penguin Book of Crime Stories, edited by Peter Robinson])
Best Short-Form Work in French:* "Le regard du trilobite," Mario Tessier (Solaris 159)
Best Work in English (Other):* Neo-opsis Science Fiction Magazine, Karl Johanson, editor
Best Work in French (Other):* Aux origines des petits hommes verts, Jean-Louis Trudel (Solaris 160)
Artistic Achievement :* Martin Springett (MartinSpringett.com)
Fan Achievement (Publication):* Brins d'Iterniti, rid. Guillaume Voisine(alegracia.com/brins/faq/faq.php)
Fan Achievement (Organizational):* Cathy Palmer-Lister (Con*Cept)
Fan Achievement (Other):* Fractale-Framboise, Eric Gauthier, Christian Sauve, Laurine Spehner (blogue/blog)

Next Year's CanVention will be: KeyCon 25 in Winnipeg, a four-day con over the 2008 Victoria Day weekend.

15 comments:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

You know how to have a good time, Nina, You seem to know so many people there!

delmer said...

Be sure to let Boba know that I retained possesson of the Boba Fett Christmas ornament following my divorce. (I'm sure he'll be touched.)

Nina Munteanu said...

Yeah, Jean-Luc...it's amazing what a little Merlot will do to bring friends together...But perhaps my impression of Princess Leia singing "The Hills Are Alive with the Sound of Music" WAS a little much...

And that IS touching, Delmer...Way to go. I'll be sure to tell Boba! Under that reticent mask lies a man eager for attention

SpacerGuy said...

Thats really friendly of you sfgirl. It must have felt good hanging out with fans at a grassroots level having fun with folks at the convention. Were there any trekkies at the con?

Nina Munteanu said...

Sure were! How come you weren't there?...Or were you?... :) It's actually a great venue: located in a nice town (my town ... :), not too big and not too small; just right to get to know a lot of familiar faces...p.s. Love your new avatar, Spacerguy...Beam me UP!

The All Seeing Eye said...

SFGirl, you always have great posts on your blog. Could you help me convince the CraftZombie how important our space program is and how little we spend on it compared to everything else? I don't think I did a real good job. Let her know at http://craftzombie.com/wordpress/?p=227. Thanks

Nina Munteanu said...

No problem! I'll just whiz over there and give her my two cents worth...that is, after I get my ship back from Robert J. Sawyer, who kinda borrowed it to do his international book tour (he promised to fix the exhaust system while he did...)

Modern Matriarch said...

Looks like a great time!

Bob Johnson said...

Daddy, I so want that outfit!

Nina Munteanu said...

Isn't it just BOSS? But you gotta wonder about bar-time and the consequences of having half a dozen beers, though...not that easy to get in and out of, I'd say... :)

Nina Munteanu said...

Just wanted to add this p.s. I was rightly chastized by dcr over at "dcr blogs" for omitting the lovely Dale Arden from the credits of my photo with Boba and the gorgeous Flash Gordon. I have since made repairs and credited Gina Holden in that photo. Sorry...it was a rush job to get the post out amid the sudden business of my day-job as a scientist (no! the lab didn't go up in smoke--I don't live in California...sorry folks over there...) But right after Vcon, I was plunged into some rather in-depth and time-sensitive stuff over at the consulting firm I work for...So,yes the post was done in haste. Thanks for keeping me "honest", readers. I appreciate it.

WalksFarWoman said...

Nina! You have a body and based on your lovely ankles I suspect incredibly great legs! :)

Glad you enjoyed yourself, it's always interesting to read your accounts of those conventions!

The All Seeing Eye said...

Thanks SFGirl!

Nina Munteanu said...

Thanks, WalksFar! I love your faith! (hehe)

Diane Dehler said...

Hi Nina,
This post is brimming with interesting links. Hope you are enjoying the Fall, It's a favorite time of year for me.